Font Size

SCREEN

Profile

Layout

Menu Style

Cpanel

Community Directory

Jewish Organizations


Kishinev is the capital of Republic of Moldova







Beltsy is the biggest city in the Northern part of the country







Tiraspol is the biggest city on the left bank of Dniester river




Bendery is an important industrial and historical town







Rybnitsa is an industrial center





Shtetls little towns

 


 

Kishinev (or Chisinau in Moldovan and Romanian transcription) is the political, administrative, industrial, scientific and cultural center of the Republic of Moldova. The word Kishinev means “a spring". According to other sources, kishlak nou is of Tatar origin and means “a new settlement”. The land on which modern Kishinev is situated was first mentioned in the gift deed written by Stephan the Great in 1466. This year is considered to be the date of founding the settlement that later became known as "Kishinev". From the 16th century to 1812, Kishinev as part of the Moldavian principality was under Turkey's power. Twice during this period it was burned and destroyed. However, after the unification with Russia and thanks to its advantageous geographic position on the trade route from Iasi to Bendery and the Crimea, the population and the territory of the city increased.
The population of modern Kishinev numbers about 800,000 representing 40 ethnicities.

First mentioning of Jews as Kishinev residents refers to the beginning of the 18th century. According to the census of 1897, the Jewish population of Kishinev was more than 50,000 people, i.e. as high as 46% of the total city population.
In 1903, Kishinev suffered the notorious "Kishinev Pogrom" when 49 Jewish people were killed or died of wounds and approximately 500 were injured. The Pogrom was probably the most significant event in Moldova's Jewish history, foreshadowing further persecutions of its Jews that culminated in the Holocaust several decades later. However, the Pogrom was also a decisive turning point for the Jewish community, helping them to realize the need for a national independence and a Jewish state. News of this pogrom spread throughout the world and it also became the topic of Bialik's famous poem "Al Hash'kita" ("On the Slaughter").
Before World War II there were 77 synagogues and about 70,000 Jews in Kishinev. 53,000 perished during the Holocaust. In the present time about 12,000 Jews and Jewish family members reside in Kishinev.

The development and strengthening of the Jewish Community of Moldova during the last years revealed the need of creation of a “home” where each and everyone will find a niche for spiritual, cultural, educational development, answers to questions, activities based on interest and social protection. The idea of the Jewish Campus in Kishinev is to unite, under the same roof, the key community Jewish organizations in order to optimize the effectiveness of their activities. Due to the support of major sponsors Irwin and Joan Jacobs (USA), UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, Claims Conference, Posner family (USA) and JDC this idea was implemented.

Jewish Congress of Moldova
The Jewish Community of Moldova 
Kishinev Union of Jewish Organizations and Communities
Jewish Cultural Center KEDEM
Kishinev Welfare Center "Hesed Yehuda"
Jewish library \ Jewish Community Center named after Y. Manger
IInternational Center of Training and Professional Development
Jewish Family Service “NES”
Chabad Liubavitch synagogue
Hillel Jewish Students' organization
Theodore Herzl ORT Jewish Lyceum
Rambam Jewish Lyceum
Jewish kindergarten #68
ORT in Moldova
Israeli Consulate
Israeli Cultural Center
American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
Jewish Agency for Israel
Buhara and Caucasian Jews Community ”Juhur”
“Dor Le Dor” Welfare Foundation
“Maccabi” Jewish Sport Organization
Association of Israeli Businessmen “Darkon”
 

Jewish Congress of Moldova

Established – 2003.

President - Emmanuil Grinshpun .

Phone and fax – (373-22) – 884515, 884516 (fax)

e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In June 2003, under the initiative of a group of Jewish business people, the Moldova Jewish Congress was formed. The Congress proclaimed its primary tasks: development of the local Jewish community, representing its political, economic, social and other interests, support of welfare and cultural projects, Jewish tradition.

 The Jewish Community of Moldova 

 Established - 2007.

Chairperson – Alexander Bilinkis

Phone and fax– (373-22) – 509657, 509689

The Jewish Community of Moldova is successor of the Republican Association of Jewish Organizations and Communities and Republican Jewish Cultural Society founded in 1989. It consolidates Republican Societies of Ghetto and Concentration Camp Survivors, War Veterans, Refugees, etc., and also local urban Jewish Communities. 

 


Kishinev Union of Jewish Organizations and Communities

Established - 2000.

The Union is successor of Kishinev Jewish Cultural Association founded in 1989. The Union was created to serve as the main local umbrella organisation that unites various other organizations such as City associations of veterans, survivors, refugees, Jewish women, etc., but did not succeed. Now it formally represents city Jewish community in municipal events.

 

Jewish Cultural Center KEDEM

Established – 2005. JCC KEDEM

Stella Harmelina, Director JCC KEDEM

Phone – (373-22) - 509601, 509602

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

JCC KEDEM was established in 2005. JCC is an integral part of the Kishinev Jacobs Jewish Campus (KJJC). The idea of the Jewish Campus is to unite, under one roof, the community Jewish services (welfare, cultural, family, educational, etc.) in order to optimize the effectiveness of their activities. The campus is located on the site of one of the community’s former synagogues situated in the very center of Kishinev.

Kishinev Welfare Center "Hesed Yehuda"

Established - 1996.

Alexander Filipov, Hesed Yehuda Director

Phone – (373-22) - 509608

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Being one the biggest NGO in the country welfare center Hesed Yehuda serves over 2,000 clients in Kishinev and southern Moldova. The list of the programs provided by Hesed Yehuda center includes: · Food packages · Meals-on-Wheels · Hot meals · Fresh food sets · Home care · Day Center · Winter relief · Warm homes · Medical equipment loan · Medical consultations · Medicines distribution · Hesed-on-wheels (25 settlements, 7 routes) · SOS (assistance in emergency cases) Since 2006 Hesed Yehuda entered Kishinev Jacobs Jewish Campus.

Jewish library \ Jewish Community Center named after Y. Manger

Established - 1991.

Director - Anna Batsmanova.

Phone – (373-22) - 224814, 213337,

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

WEB-site – www.Manger.araxinfo.com

Located in the centre of Kishinev, this state-funded Jewish library and museum serves as one of the focal points of Jewish life in the city. The book collection is about 35,000 (9,000 on the Jewish themes). Of the 15,000 people who read books at the library, about 25% are Jews. Besides its traditional functions as the library, JCC serves as a community centre, which hosts a variety of clubs, artistic companies and associations such as Pensioners' club, Yiddish Centre, and others. About 25 programs work in the frame of JCC.

The main programs of the library: · Rosh Hodesh · Story Hour · Museum of the History, Literature and Art of Jews of Moldova · Computer class · Musical saloon · "Halom" vocal group · "Tsipor" - workshop for children under school age · Sport programs · Reading hall for disabled kids · Puppet theatre

IInternational Center of Training and Professional Development

Established in 2003.

Galina Karger, Director

Phone – (373-22) 509-638

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

International Center of Training and Professional development is a successor of Kishinev JDC Training Department. After the registration the Center works as a community organization that provides high-qualified training for the various community structures. Since 2006 the Center entered Kishinev Jacobs Jewish Campus.


Jewish Family Service “NES”

 Olga Levus, Director 

 Phone – (373-22) 509-659

e-mail - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.">This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Jewish Family Service is an organization that serves the family needs on a complex base. First created for the JDC “Let My Children Grow” project’s needs it expanded the working issues and finally separated in a new communal service. It works through a network of social workers who gather data on the situation in Jewish families, conducts sociological reviews, and serves as a bridge between the clients and servicing organizations. The Jewish Family Service embraces over families with 1,500 kids. The list of programs includes:

· Food packages · Supermarket sets · Holiday food packages · Humanitarian aid distribution · School of professions for unemployed · SOS for kids · Summer and Winter retreats Since 2006 JFS entered Kishinev Jacobs Jewish Campus.

Chabad Liubavitch synagogue

Rabbi - Josef Itzhak Abelsky.

Phone – (373-22) - 541023, fax – 541020,

WEB-site – www.Jewishmoldova.org, www.Kishinev.org,

e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.m

Chabad movement started its activities in Moldova in 1991. The Chabad synagogue is the only synagogue functioning in Kishinev. At present the synagogue and Jewish kindergarten are united under the "Chabad" umbrella, which also supports synagogues in Beltsy, Tiraspol, Soroky and Bendery.
 

Hillel Jewish Students' organization

Established in 1997.

Director - Sergei Lapta

Phone – (373-22) - 509678

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.hillel.su

Kishinev Hillel at present is considered one of the biggest and most successful regional organizations. Hillel became the biggest Jewish students’ organization in Kishinev. They work in close cooperation with peripheral youth. Hundreds of Hesed clients and volunteers learned about Kishinev Hillel through the constant visits in the frame of Elyiahu Project or visits to Warm and Open Homes. Among the most successful Hillel projects are Community service for Rosh-ha-Shana, JDC-Hillel Pesach project, International Sport competition “Hilleliada”, participation in Jewish Family Retreats, etc.
Since 2006 Hillel entered Kishinev Jacobs Jewish Campus.


 Theodore Herzl ORT Jewish Lyceum

Opened in 1991.

Director – Svetlana Klimina.

Phone – (373-22) - 243444, 244629

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

One of two Jewish schools in the country with over 400 students from the 1st grade to the 12th. Lyceum is supported by Israeli Ministry of Education through JAFI representation in Moldova.
Programs:
· General education
· Jewish history
· Hebrew
· Jewish tradition


Rambam Jewish Lyceum

Opened in 1992.

Director - Sofia Shkolnick.

Phone – (373-22) - 775994

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

One of two Jewish schools in the country with around 200 students from the 1st grade to the 12th. Lyceum is supported by Israeli Ministry of Education through JAFI representation in Moldova.

Programs:
· General education
· Jewish tradition
· Hebrew
· Jewish history


Jewish kindergarten #68

Opened in 1994.

Director - Svetlana Iliadi.

Phone – (373-22) - 440142, 441110

It is the unique Jewish kindergarten in Moldova with over 90 kids from 2 to 6 years old. The kindergarten is supported by Chabad Lubavitch movement.

Programs: · General pre-school education · Jewish tradition


ORT in Moldova  

Opened in 2000.

Director – Vitaly Kirilov .

Phone – (373-22) - 243444,

WEB-site – www.ort.md

In the end of 2000 World ORT, Department of Education and Council of Israel in Moldova signed three-part agreement and according to this agreement ORT created a Technological Center (TC) in Kishinev on the base of Theodore Herzl Lyceum.

The ORT TC Kishinev consists of 2 IT Labs, lab of Technology, a resource center, a network center and a mediateca. More than 50 modern computers provide students and teachers with an access to information resources both of school network and Internet resources.


Israeli Consulate  

Opened in 1993.

First secretary of Israeli Embassy for Ukraine and Moldova – Marc Basin.

Phone – (373-22) - 245587, fax - 544280

The Consulate represents the State of Israel in Moldova and executes diplomatic and consular functions. It is subordinate to the Embassy of Israel in Ukraine and Moldova located in Kiev.


Israeli Cultural Center  

Opened in 1992.

Director – Ida Basin

Phone – (373-22) - 544282,

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Provides information about Israel and its culture. http://il4u.org.il/Israel/Centers/Kishinev/ Supports programs:

• Youth club
• Hebrew classes
• Musical programs
• Computer classes



American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. Branch in Moldova

Opened in 1993.

Representative in Moldova - Alla Bolbochanu

Phone – (373-22) - 496716, 496732,

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

AJJDC Branch in Moldova is a subdivision of AJJDC http://www.jdc.org The main goal of JDC's activities is rendering help to the local Jewish communities and organizations throughout the world. In FSU JDC's top-priorities are:

• Welfare programs for the needy, disabled, Nazi victims, and Righteous gentile
• Renewal programs (Community centers, Hillel Youth Club, Family programs, etc.)
• Jewish community development

Thanks to the JDC support more than 6,000 needy people receive welfare services and around 12,000 have the possibility to get Jewish education, read and learn about Jewish history and tradition, participate in sport, art and other cultural activities.



Jewish Agency for Israel

Opened in 1992.

Phone – (373-22) - 227160; 241423; 245472; 243070; 241436 Fax – 221981

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.,

WEB-site – www.Sohnut.md

Assists people who make aliah as well as supports some cultural and youth programs:

• Hebrew ulpan
• Open University
• Youth club
• Summer camps
• Jewish schools
• Sport



Buhara and Caucasian Jews Community ”Juhur”

Established in 2002.

President - Shabbatay Hanukaev.

Phone – (373-22) - 746508; 716679
Unites about 100 people and expresses interests of this group of Jews.


“Dor Le Dor” Welfare Foundation

Established in 2002.

Executive director – Sonya Gittenshtein.

Telephone – (373-22) - 278676; 278684

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

WEB-site www.dorledor.info

The foundation was organized by a group of local Jewish businessmen and registered in the end of the 2002. The main aim of the foundation is to improve the situation on the Jewish cemeteries of Moldova. It also participates in important community events, holidays conducting, children’s’ programs.


“Maccabi”Jewish Sport Organization

Re-established in 2003.

President – Yakov Akkerman.

Organization provides a range of sport activities to local Jews.


Association of Israeli Businessmen “Darkon”

Established in 2005

Phone - (+373) 068-16-22-16, 079-41-16-22

e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Association proclaimed development of interrelations between Moldova and Israel, collaboration in the spheres of economy, management, science and culture as its main aim as well as support of humanitarian, educational and welfare projects in Moldova. Association legally supports Israeli businessmen in Moldova. Association unites 24 Israeli businessmen.


Beltsy

Beltsy was founded in 1580. At present it is the biggest industrial and cultural center in the Northern part of Moldova. Beltsy is situated 131 kms northwards from Kishinev. Its total population is 140,000 people.

According to some sources, the first Jews appeared in this region of Moldova at the beginning of the 10th century. In 1580, the locality later named Beltsy was formed around a small Jewish tavern - korchma. During the second part of the 19th century, Jews made up more than 50% of the population in Beltsy and small surrounding settlements. Starting with 1989, the Beltsy Jewish community is the second biggest community after Kishinev as well as the regional center for 49 small towns and villages in the North of Moldova. Jewish population is 1,500 (plus about 400 from Beltsy periphery).

Since 2000, the Beltsy community has a twinning /p “Dor Le Dor” Welfare Foundation‐program with the Jewish Federation of Greensboro (www.shalomgreensboro.org), that supports the main projects of the local Jewry.,. The collaboration supported by JDC is aimed at the revival of Jewish life in Beltsy. The following are among the successful ventures yielded by this partnership since the year 2000:

• Building and equipping Beltsy Jewish Campus
• Sponsoring the all-Moldovan project “Let My Children Grow” through the Toleo Foundation
• Co-founding annual Jewish summer retreats for Beltsy families
• Creating a computer lab in the Beltsy Jewish Community Center
• Sending Jewish dentists to treat patients in Beltsy clinics
• Restoring and preserving the Beltsy Jewish cemetery and Holocaust monument in Pepeny
• Sending humanitarian aid to Moldova


On August, 14 2005 the Beltsy Jewish Campus dedication ceremony took place. The event gathered together 100 people, among the guests: the Ambassador of the USA in Moldova; JDC Byelorussia and Moldova Country Director; the director of JDC branch in Moldova; Chief of Bilateral Affairs Office Greensboro – Moldova; Beltsy Mayor; VIP mission from Greensboro, Beltsy Jewish Community leaders.

It was a very special ceremony because the atmosphere was charged with positive emotions and happiness. Rabbi Susie Tendler attached the mezuzah to each door in the Campus and together with the group made a tour of the place where each Jew will find peace, comfort and support. The tree of sponsors, where leaves are named after persons who contributed to the realization of this project, will always remind to the members of the Jewish Community that somewhere in the world there are people who care.


Association of the Jewish Organizations of Beltsy

 

Established – 1989.

Phone – (373-231) - 25270,

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In 1998 the Jewish Culture Society established in 1989 was reorganized into Association of the Jewish Organizations of Beltsy. Association unites: JCC, Hava women organization, association of former ghetto prisoners, association of World War veterans, Hesed Yakov, religious community, JAFI and Israeli Cultural center branches. I∓emmailto:This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. name=strongthen 2000 twinning of Beltsy with Greens 224boro Federation, USA was established. It is an important example of a small Moldovan community partnership relations with an American Federation. Thanks to the generous financial assistance of Greensboro Jewish Federation, Jewish Campus was opened in Beltsy in 2005. Jewish Campus director – Polina Raspitina.

JCC programs: Kabbalat Shabbat • Jewish tradition • Summer family retreat • Intellectual games • Hebrew classes • English classes • Family club • Youth club • Cinee-mail – Director – Svetlana Klimina. emma club • Computer classes • Jewish dance group • Applied art studio • Sport sections: tennis, che/emcolor: #3366ff; Phone - (+373) 068-16-22-16, 079-41-16-22ss • Art studio • Musical programs

Welfare Center “Hesed Yakov”

Established - 1997.

Board Chairman – Efim Groisman.

Hesed Director - Polina Raspitina.
Phone – (373-231) - 21278, fax – 26394,

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Welfare programs: Number of clients in the city (incl. children and periphery) – 855 • Food packages • Meals-on-Wheels • Hot meals • Fresh food sets • Home care services • Winter relief • Warm homes • Medical equipment loan • Medical consultations • Medicines distribution through pharmacy smart-cards • SOS • Day center • Hesed-on-Wheels (44 locations, 9 routes) • Club programs.

Religious community: Religious services - Roman Soibelis.  Phone – (373-231) – 27054.Up to 55 people gather on Shabbat, Jewish holidays and prayers.

Tiraspol

Tiraspolwas founded in 1795. After the Russian Empire collapsed, it was in the Soviet Russia. Beginning with 1990, Tiraspol is the capital of the self-proclaimed Transdniestrian Moldavian Republic. It is situated 75 km southwards from Kishinev. Its total population is 150,000 people.

In the middle of the 19th century Jews from Russia, as well as from Dubossari and Grigoriopol communities, were settling in Tiraspol. Now the Jewish population numbers 2,000 people in Tiraspol and 130 people in 10 surrounding settlements.

Since 2001, the structure named Welfare Cultural Center has been successfully functioning in Tiraspol, combining welfare and cultural programs and serving the community.

Communal Welfare and Cultural Center “Hesed”

Established - 2001.

Board Chairman –

Director – Anna Kondraschenko.

Phone – (373-533) – 74155,

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In 2001 the Jewish Cultural Society, established in 1989 and Welfare Center “Hesed Chana”, established in 1997 were re-organized into Welfare Cultural Center. The united organization provides the entire spectrum of diversified welfare, educational cultural programs for the local Jewish population. Since 2007 serves clients living in Bendery.

Welfare programs: «Hesed Chana» Number of clients in the city (including children) – over 600 people • Food packages • Meals – on – Wheels • Hot meals • Fresh food sets • Home care services • Winter relief • Warm homes • Medical equipment loan • Medical consultations • Medicines distribution • SOS • Day center
Cultural programs: Kabballat Shabbat • Jewish tradition • Family Club • Jewish dance group • Theater studio • Library • Vocal group • Women Club • Puppet theatre • Guitar courses • Discussion club • Literature sitting-room.

 


Bendery

The town of  Bendery was founded in 1408 as a fortress Tigina (Osman Empire). Then in 1812, Bendery as part of Bessarabia joined Russia. In 1918-1940 the town found itself on the territory of Romania. In the period between 1944 and 1989 it belonged to the USSR. Beginning with 1990, Bendery is in Pridnestrovye/ Transdniestria. It is 64 kms from Kishinev. Its total population is 93,000 people.

The first references to the Jewish history in Bender are dated by the early 18th century when a synagogue was built on the fortress territory. By 1930, there were 8,000 Jews in the town, while at the end of 1980s, the Jewish population counted 6,000 people. Nowadays the Jewish population of the town and two peripheral settlements is 1000 people.

Council of Jewish Organizations.

Established – 2001.

Chairperson – Yuri Grinfeld.

Phone (373-552) - 43354

The Council unites main local Jewish organizations. Coordinates joint city events organized by the Jewish organizations.

Branch of Tiraspol Communal Welfare and Cultural Center “Hesed”

Established - 2006.

Coordinator – Liubov Strukova

Phone – (373-552) – 29504,

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Center “Halom” is a new community structure that unites welfare, cultural and educational programs being the successor of Hesed and JCC.

Welfare programs: Number of clients in the city (including children) – 350 • Food packages • Meals – on – Wheels • Hot meals • Fresh food sets • Home care • Warm homes • Medical equipment loan • Medical consultations • Medicines distribution • Day Center Meals distribution through shop smart-cards

The main cultural programs: Jewish holidays • Synagogue • Museum • Intellectual games • Family club • Library • Art studio • Vocal group • Dance group • Theatre studio • English courses • Hebrew courses • Women club “Chava”
Jewish Sunday school. Director – Malvina Vaiman . About 40 children attend the school learning Jewish traditions, music, and Hebrew. Religious Community. From 40 to 60 people attend Shabbat and Jewish holidays at the synagogue.


Rybnitsa

Rybnitsa was founded in 1650. After 1918, the town became part of the Soviet Russia. From 1990, it belongs to Pridnestrovye/ Transdniestria. Rybnitsa is an industrial center of the unacknowledged Transdniestrian Republic. A big steel works is situated in the town. Also its industry produces construction materials, food and clothes.
Rybnitsa is situated 110 kms from Kishinev. Its population is 50,000 people.

As early as in 1800, several dozens of Jewish families lived in Rybnitsa, though the neighboring localities have a longer Jewish history. However, during Rech Pospolita, the Polish rule period, a synagogue functioned in Rashkov. It was destroyed by the Cossacks in the 18th century. Rybnitsa is the regional center for 11 small surrounding towns and villages. Its Jewish population is 350 people and 200 people in periphery.
The Jewish community center of Rybnitsa develops two programs: maintaining the Jewish cemeteries and investigating the Jewish history of Rybnitsa.
The "Hesed Rahel" Welfare Center runs both welfare and cultural programs for the community members.

Jewish Community of Rybnitsa

Established – 2002.

Chairperson – Ilya Freidkin.

Registered as successor of the Jewish Cultural Society of Rybnitsa that was organized in 1989. Formally coordinates the activities of all the Jewish organizations of the town. Develops two programs: taking care of the cemeteries and the Jewish history of Rybnitsa.

Welfare Center “Hesed Rachel”

Established - 1997

Board Chairman – Semyon Sigal

Hesed Director – Zina Sergeeva

Phone – (373-555) – 33968, 33944,

e-mail – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it."> This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
 

Welfare programs: Number of clients in the city (incl. children and periphery) – 420 • Food packages • Meals – on – Wheels • Hot meals • Fresh food sets • Home care services • Winter relief • Warm homes • Medical equipment loan • Medical consultations • Medicines distribution • Day center Food through shop smart-cards

Cultural programs: Kabbalat Shabbat • Jewish tradition • Intellectual games • Klezmer vocal group

 


Shtetls

The town of Dubossary started as a Russian military settlement in 1792 and nowadays has the population of 25,000. It is 42 kms from Kishinev.
Before 1941 Jews constituted 80% of the population. During World War II, Dubossary witnessed mass execution of its Jewish population and of the Jews from the neighboring villages. There was a memorial erected at the massacre site.
Dubossary Jewish community comprises about 200 people now, living in the town and surrounding villages.

The town of Soroky with a total population of 35,000 people is situated 174 kms from Kishinev. As well as in Beltsy and other northern towns and settlements of Moldova, Jews were a majority of the population in the 18th and 19th centuries. At present the Soroky Jewish community includes less than 120persons having decreased in the last 10 years by 90%. There remains practically no Soroky periphery, with the exception in Baticheny village where welfare assistance is provided to one person.

The town of Orgeev has a population of 33,000 people and is situated 46 kms from Kishinev. The Jewish cemetery in Orgeev is one of the most ancient in the region. The eldest identified monuments refer yet to 16th century. The Jewish community of the town, together with 5 smaller settlements, numbers about 100 people.

Historically, Jews on the territory of Moldova have shared all major experience of European Jewry. For the last 400 years traditional Yiddishkeit – the culture of Ashkenazim - developed here. The Pale of Settlement in the Tsarist Russian Empire, the majority of the population living in small rural settlements - shtetls, the Yiddish language prevailing usage in everyday life became its characteristic features. Now one may count over 120 former shtetls in the country where old Jewish homes and whole streets, former synagogues and cemeteries survived.

 

 

Shtetls

strongp align=